I have a funny story and I think I'll post it just to remember it in years to come. Last Friday my Dad and I took the kids and a couple of friends to the Olympic Oval. They were hosting the World Cup Long Track Speed Skating. We really went because it was free to get in and sounded fun. (We did go a couple of years ago to the short track race when Apollo Anton Ono was skating and it was really fun but not free admit.)
So we took R, T, A and L and R's friend and T's friend. Of course I hadn't charged my camera battery lately and it was totally dead, so no camera. But we did witness a little piece of history. Some lady, just before we got there had broken a world record in the 5000m. We saw her put her name on the wall. Don't remember her name but she was from another country and you can see her name if you go to the Olympic Oval :).
So, on to the funny story. Here is Ryan and his friend. This was taken when we got home and the camera battery had charged a while. But this is what they looked like at the speed skating.
When we were at the Oval the kids would walk around in between the races and sometimes stand at the "fence" during the races. When they would come back to the stands to sit, twice we had people come up and talk to us about their sweatshirts (notice above picture). These nice people told about the rivalries in their own families and how they thought it was great that these boys could be friends while cheering for different teams. It just so happened that the two people that came up to talk to us (at different times) were both wearing the USA hats that the Olympic team (and many others) wore here in Salt Lake in 2002. You can picture that blue beret kind of hat that says USA around the rim, right?
Here's the funny part..... Right as we were getting ready to leave another man came and sat down behind us. He was from another country (we saw Japan, China, Germany, Sweden and others there) I could tell by his accent and broken English. He asked if I was from the US. I said yes. He asked if I was from Utah. I told him I lived here. He asked I was a former skater!! and if that's why I was bringing my kids to see all the skating!! I laughed hard and said, "No, we just came for fun." He said, "Oh I thought maybe you were a skater a long time ago and I wanted your autograph." Now I was really laughing and asked where he was from. He said he was from Holland and we did some more small talk, said good bye and left.
My dad and I had a good laugh as we walked to the parking lot!!! On the way home R was sitting in the front seat and it totally hit me..... That guy from Holland saw a couple of other people come to chat with us (about the boys sweatshirts). But he didn't know we were talking about BYU vs Utah. He probably has never even heard of BYU vs Utah. All he saw were people, obviously from the USA cause of their Olympic hats, come and talk to us, thinking they were recognizing ME from.... I don't know what.... some former team? Now Ry and I had a good laugh.
My dad said I should have just signed the program he was holding.
No comments:
Post a Comment