Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Maggie

I've thought about writing this for a long time, but just haven't had the heart to do it.  But I thought it time to honor our good friend.  I know some people are not dog lovers but we are.  Larry and I both grew up with dogs and we have one of our own now and she is part of our family in a big way.

While Larry's parents were in Sweden for 18 months we got to have their dog Maggie come live with us.  She was 11 years old and we hoped she would live to see our Grandma and Grandpa when they came home.  They left her knowing that might not happen but that she would be greatly loved by our kids while they were gone.

She started going down hill a few months before they were going to be home and finally 1 week, YES, just 1 week before they came home in June she got really sick and couldn't hang on any longer.  That last week of her life I cried everyday and pleaded with her to just keep going a little longer, but it wasn't meant to be. Poor girl didn't eat the last few days and finally gave it one last try and her body couldn't handle it.  I came home and found her very sick, all over the house, which was gross and I knew she had met her last day.

I called the vet and we brought both dogs in.  Sunny needed to say goodbye to her friend she'd know all her life so she came along and not one person questioned why we had her there!  T came with me after dropping off the girls at a friends house and Larry and R met us there after R's game.

Just a side note: R walked into the vet's office and showed me a baseball.  I thought he got the game ball but he said it was his home run ball!  I had missed his home run as I was trying to get A to dance, call the vet and clean up the mess at home.

We got to spend some time with Maggie at the vet's and held her and loved her while the vet gave her the shot to stop her heart and finally let her poor old sick body rest.  Many, many tears were shed that night by all of us.


Maggie and Sunny were good friends.  First picture is T's bed and that's what he got to sleep with every night.  Good thing he loved it!




Maggie loved T sooooo much!  She followed him every where and would even wait patiently while he was in the shower. After she got tired of standing, because she couldn't stand very long, she would lay on the bathroom floor and wait for him to get out.


Here are the last couple of pictures at the vet's office.  Sunny just laid right next to her good friend.



Maggie is a special dog, so kind, so friendly, so loving.  The kids liked to try and take her bone away and see her growl.  But we knew she would never hurt them, she loved them all so much.  Grandma told T  that he gave her the best 18 months of her life while she was with us.  I hope that's true.
We LOVE and miss you Mags.  Rest in peace sweet girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment