Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Bunny? 2011

(Just got home from Ry's game and waiting for the load of laundry I just put in to finish washing so I can throw it in the dryer before I go to bed.  Awesome game tonight even though they lost by 1.  Score 8-7.  The Fury was ranked a few teams above the Havoc in the standings but we played so hard and should have won.  The coaches even admitted it was probably their fault for sending a couple of boys to the next base too soon.  Ryan was one of them and he was tagged out at 3rd.  He should have stayed at second but his coach called him to come so he slid great but was out.  The coach apologized and said it was not Ry's fault.  Anyway my throat is sore from yelling.  The boys made the other team so nervous they changed pitchers, I think, 4 times.  Ry of course did really awesome at 1st and they even got one of the Fury boys in a "hot box" which was CRAZY to watch.  He must have ran back and forth between 1st and 2nd four or five times (maybe it was three or four) but it went on forever.  He was finally called safe at second.  Bad umpire!  I asked Ry if it was fun to do that and he smiled and said YA!  Even our catcher was on first base and it seemed like the short stop and out fielders were involved too.  I SOOOOO wish I had that on video, it was great!  Very proud of the boys, so much pressure is put on these young guys.  Sometimes I wish they could just play for fun, I know they have fun but it's very competitive.  GO HAVOC)


Happy Easter -
So here's how our Easter weekend went.  Started on Friday decorating eggs here at home.  Nothing fancy, just the store bought decorating kit.  T and A had a great time.  R wanted to decorate his last so he could leave his eggs in the colors all night so they would be really dark.  We learned that if you leave them in too long the color actually starts to come back off.

Then on Saturday we went over to Grandma and Grandpa's house for an Easter egg hunt with the younger cousins and then dinner with everyone.


Easter Sunday we headed out to church.  I wanted to focus our Easter Sunday more on the Savior and the real meaning of Easter so I planned to do our own egg hunt on Monday but R had an early game (won 6-5) so I knew that would never work.  So I changed my plan to go to my Dad's house after church, spend time talking about and reminding each other of the gifts Jesus has given us and then doing the egg hunt.

Here are the kids before church.


So we get to my Dad's house and I have a bucket of LOTS of eggs filled with treats by the door of the van.  The dog knows just were we are and is wining and excited to see Grandpa. I open the door of the van and no one is holding her and she jumps over the bucket by the door and eggs go flying.  Everywhere.  And candy too.  Everywhere.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry so I say something about the dumb dog and how no one was holding her (probably in a not very nice tone of voice) and get on my hands and knees and begin picking up plastic eggs and candy.  R comes to help and we finally get it all, except the candy far under the van.  After that I was not in a very good mood and didn't really feel like talking about Jesus. That's probably when I really needed to remind myself of Him, but it didn't happen.  We did hide the eggs later and the kids had fun finding them all over the house at Grandpa's.

But here's the kicker....  When we got home A started telling about how a boy in her Sunday school class told everyone what the Easter Bunny brought him and his dog.  Then she says, "I don't think the Easter Bunny came to our house."  I was very tired by that time and blurted out to R, T and A,  "You know there's not really an Easter Bunny anyway.  Easter is about Jesus, how He died for us and was Resurrected so we can live with Him some day, right?"  No one really said anything so I just walked away.  Not one of my proudest moments.  

So I spilled the beans (jelly beans, haha) about the Easter Bunny.  As I was getting ready for bed, I told Larry what happened and said, "I told the kids the Easter Bunny wasn't real."  All he said was, "I heard you."  Well that's just great.

The Bunny hasn't come up again and everyone is perfectly happy eating all their candy.  Maybe they already knew.  Or maybe not.

How did a bunny become the big deal at Easter, anyway?

I guess I won't win Mother of the Year for that one.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I spilled the beans about that before there were ever any beans to be spilled! Don't be so hard on yourself. My kids are torn between wanting to believe and knowing I'm the one buying everything. I bought them each a pillow pet to go with their easter basket this year and after the boys saw it they came running over to me and said thank you. The bunny doesn't deserve any credit, I did the work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a hard one. I try to really play down the commercial parts too. And as moms we've all had those moments when we want to reply to the "Easter Bunny is the best" comments!! We have done a book for the last few years that we LOVE. It is A Christ-Centered Easter: Day-by-Day Activities to Celebrate Easter Week. Has changed our focus for sure! Have a great day, miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the Easter Bunny anyway! Seriously, I think a giant bunny delivering stuff to your house is really dumb! My kids tell me about friends that get major gifts for Easter, and I think that's dumb too. My kids get baskets with candy and that's about it. I really want the focus to be on Jesus and the resurrection. I don't think it's bad at all that you told them! My older two know, and I'll probably tell James soon too. You are a great mom, don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete